Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hello Blogosphere!

I can't say exactly why I suddenly decided to join in with the rest of the world and create a blog.  It seems like everyone is doing it these days, but I am not typically one to go along with the rest of the crowd for the sake of being just like everyone else. 

Example:  If everyone else jumps off a bridge, will I jump as well?  Assuming that a valid reason does not exist for the mass jumping, then no.  I absolutely will not join in.

Note:  If there is a perfectly valid reason, I will be at the front of the line. 

Anyway, I've been reading different blogs on a variety of topics for a while, and I have really enjoyed the stories, insight, expertise, and perspectives of people all over the world.  I do not claim to have anything terribly interesting to say or show off, but perhaps - just perhaps - it wouldn't be so bad to add my voice to the general conversation.  At the very least, it would be nice to have a journal of sorts to record this crazy journey that we call life.

That brings me to the name of this blog.  Around Life's Bend is a play on my favorite passage from LM Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables.  I've quoted part of it in the header of this blog, but I've also included the passage here in its entirety:
"I'm just as ambitious as ever. Only, I've changed the object of my ambitions. I'm going to be a good teacher-- and I'm going to save your eyesight... Oh, I've dozens of plans, Marilla. I've been thinking them out for a week. I shall give life here my best, and I believe it will give its best to me in return.
When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla. I wonder how the road beyond it goes--what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows--what new landscapes--what new beauties--what curves and hills and valleys further on."
This lovely quote is found in the final pages of the book, and occurs after Anne unexpectedly loses Matthew, one of her adopted 'parents.'  Prior to Matthew's death, Anne seemed to be on the fast track to achieving all of her dreams.  Matthew's death brings about circumstances that cause Anne to abandon many of her plans.  Rather than complain, Anne picks herself up and eagerly sets off in a new direction that she never would have otherwise imagined.

I first read Anne of Green Gables when I was about nine or ten, and I was fascinated by the idea of a bend in the road of life.  All of these years later, the insight of LM Montgomery and the beautiful way she expresses the idea throughout the Anne novels continues to inspire me.  I have already come across many bends in the road, and I always try to take an Anne-like attitude when I dust myself off and say, "Now what?!"

To wrap up this first terribly long post, I have to admit that I have no idea what this blog will be about.  I am not experienced enough in any one subject to base all of my writings on.  Therefore, I think I will write about all of the "checkered light and shadows...the beauties...the curves and hills and valleys" that I come across while traveling down the straight stretches and around the turns in the road of life.  There will undoubtedly be many surprises along the way, and I am looking forward to them.  Thanks for coming along on the journey with me.

3 comments:

  1. ooooo ... I get to be your first pearl of wisdom!!! It's easy to start a blog, but harder to make regular posts. Enjoyed your first one - it's very LillyLeanne-esque. Welcome to the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a post with a question, then realized it was published, rather that private. Oops! I removed it. You're off to a great start!!!

    ReplyDelete